Monday, December 19, 2011

Mirror to Chalkboard re-do

A few months ago, I discovered chalkboard paint and I've been so excited to test it out. After we bought an old mirror, I thought it would be fun to swtich out the mirror and make it into a chalkboard. I loved the ornate frame.
I was really excited to start this project. We went to Home Depot and bought chalkboard paint, spray paint, a wood panel, and some extra paint rollers. I had every intention of starting the project that week. Then things came up and it sat in the garage. As the weeks went on, Jim was getting antsy. One night while I was making supper, Jim told me he was going to cut the wood for the backing. Jim traced the shape of the mirror on to the wood then used a jigsaw to cut it down.
He then used a sander to fix the edges and smooth it out.
After the backing was complete, I thought I'd step in, but he just kept going. He did a coat of the chalkboard paint and let it dry. The next night he added a second coat and then decided to spray the frame. He did it outside and had the smart idea of hanging it so he could get all the different angles.
I absolutely love the look of it. Now we just have to figure out where to hang it.
Didn't Jim do a great job?

4 comments:

  1. it looks great. the frame just pops now that it's white. i really like it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jim did great! I love the detailing in the frame and how nice it looks in white.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a great idea! I love the ornate frame.

    Thanks for stopping by my blog!

    ReplyDelete